I’ve realised I’m blessed in this department because as soon as I hit the pillow I sleep, but I’ve also experienced sleepless nights which drove me insane and it got me thinking of those who suffers from this on a regular basis.
Here are some ideas for a better sleep, I know they are all well known but just like people need a constant reminder to drink plenty of water every day to keep their body and skin hydrated, these are simply reminders and a little push in the right direction;
- Start by looking at your day - if you are stressed or worried it will cause tension which makes it hard for the body to relax and for you to fall asleep. Picture yourself in a more stress-free environment and work towards finding a balance. Work related thoughts simply need to take a step back until the next day.
- Spend as much time as you can outside in daylight, take a break from computers and office light whenever you can or let in natural light, this will make you naturally tired as oppose to ‘staring-into-a-screen-tired’
- Prepare your bedroom for a good nights sleep - clean sheets, cool temperature, dark and free from noise. Invest in a proper pillow and mattress if they are causing you to feel stiff and tensed when waking up.
- Find a ritual before going to bed - take a warm bath or shower using relaxing bath oils, listen to calming music, read a book or magazine or listen to books or relaxing talk on tape. Using a sleep mask also helps to remove any light.
- Avoid - alcohol or drinks containing caffeine just before sleep, time in front of the computer or TV (or any screen) and smoking.